Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Langham - My cup of tea!

Today I knocked another goal off my 30 before 30 list:

And what a super fun goal it was. I got to feel fancy, chat with friends for a couple of hours AND eat some nom noms. Like, super nom noms.


When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely young man who was very knowledgeable, welcoming, and made me feel at ease (I was a first timer and felt waaaaay outta my depth in terms of fancy, lol). He was just a delight. Everything you could want in someone who's looking after you at a restaurant.

But let's get down to the real reason we're here shall we? The super noms.

Our drinks were iced tea and delicious. I unfortunately didn't take note of what they were, but it was very fruity. I think I've begun a love story with iced tea now, it was that good.

On our afternoon tea plates we had a selection of sandwiches, savouries and desserts, and we were then brought some delicious scones as well. Was so full, but so satisfied by the end of it. I was actually really impressed with myself as there were some items on the menu that I normally wouldn't touch (beetroot - euck!), but I ate it all up like a good girl!

The sandwiches were  champagne ham and english mustard, smoked salmon and horseradish, free-range egg with watercress and cucumber with lemon cream cheese. I definitely dug the classic salmon, but the winner for me here was the cucumber. Having worked in a cafe one summer I knew the cucumber and cream cheese combo was a delight, and the addition of lemon was just delicious.

Our savouries were prawn salad and tomato mousse tartlet, beetroot panna cotta with pickled beet and salmon caviar, basil sable with potato and truffle puree and peking-style duck leg roulande with coriander and cucumber. There was nothing here that if I would choose having to pick from a menu, but it was all really good. I didn't particularly like the beetroot number, but made my way through it. The winner for me here was the duck roulande. I'm a big coriander fan, I know it polarizes people - our table was!

The desserts were as delicious as they looked. Vanilla macaroon with salted caramel filling, lemon and ginger tea mousse on a biscuit with freeze-dried raspberry, rhubarb compote with vanilla sauce, dark chocolate cupcake with white chocolate mousse, grand marnier pop cake and strawberry tartlet. My favourites here were the macaroon, which has made me want to become a master at making them, the ginger and lemon mousse number and the rhubarb compote which showed me that I in fact do like rhubarb.

Scones were plain and passionfruit with a selections of jams. The clotted cream (which I don't think I've ever had before) was NOM. Would bang again.

I cannot recommend The Langham enough. Was just devine. A great goal! Thanks Nicola and Rachael for sharing it with me :)

No comments: