Monday, August 25, 2014

“Things don’t have to be extraordinary to be beautiful. Even the ordinary can be beautiful.”

Each fortnight I get emailed a set of writing prompts from Mama Kat. I've used them previously, but only a little bit, and had some really good writing come out of it. The emails keep rolling in each fortnight and I continue to ferret them away in a folder on my email application, but I haven't used one for a long time.

With the zhuzh up of my blog over the next little while, when I don't really have anything to say I thought these would be good to use to make sure I'm getting a post in. So here today I present to you, a prompt that was supposed to be used last week, but it's only Monday, so I'm only a weeny bit late:

A blog post inspired by the word: ordinary.


Not many people know about a subset of my life at the moment that is a slight bit off track, and even less people know all the ins and outs of what's happening. Hell, I don't know all of them. It's a complicated little matter in relationships and for me it comes down to the crux of what I really want in my life, or don't want as the case may be.

So here's a bit of an open letter to the person in question. One who I'm struggling to understand at all at the moment, but who's taking up a whole lot of my thinking time.

The ordinary comes in here. I can see why you might be able to completely eradicate your life of me pretty happily, I'm fairly ordinary. I can be a proper pain in the arse most of the time. I'm a professional steering wheel and shower singer, I'm about as stubborn as you get, I wake up, go to work, come home, repeat, I'm obsessively tidy, I am vocal about things I care about and extremely lackluster about the rest. I'm leading an ordinary life. I know that, and I can see how not having me in yours wouldn't be that much of a big blow. I'm cool with that.

What I can't possibly fathom is how you could happily not have this little wonder in your life.


Because she is incredible.
Loving, caring, articulate (as much as a 3 year old can be!), funny, inquisitive, beautiful, inspiring, heart-melting, happiness inducing... about as far from ordinary as you get. She's extraordinary, and she always will be. As will her partner in crime who's about to come into fruition very, very shortly.


So forgive me when I roll my eyes and laugh at the ludicrousy of any argument that would have you taking yourself out of these wonderful lives. I would give all my limbs to stay in their lives given your situation, and I would do so happily. I would do so knowing that I was doing the best thing - making it possible to know these extraordinary girls.

Don't be like me, don't be ordinary. Make a point of staying around these two extraordinary little ladies.

No comments: