Thursday, December 6, 2012

Baker's Delight was a delight

I was lucky enough Some teachers at school today were lucky enough to get to try some free Christmas cake courtesy of Baker's Delight. Just with a wee proviso that they needed to tell me how it was.

See the thing is, I was offered to sample some lovely Christmas delights and review them on my blog. Only problem? I don't do Christmas cake or mince tarts, but I did really want to do the review, so said I would definitely be able to find some people keen on being guinea pigs. Enter school staff! Hungry, ravenous creatures who will devour anything offered up on the staff room bench.


We were delivered 3 little Traditional Christmas cakes. One slightly larger which would serve around 6-8 people and two teeny weenys which I think are a great size for giving as Christmas presents...so that's what I'm doing!

They were beautifully decorated on top with nuts, cherries and a glaze. The cake was very moist (which got points) but really fell apart when we cut it up, almost like it was undercooked. Luckily for our close knit staff we didn't mind picking at bits and pieces of the cake as picking up a whole nicely cut piece was impossible.

Free edibles go down a treat at school and the reaction to the cake overall was a good one. Apart from the cake being very 'crumbly' from the undercooked nature of the mixture everyone loved it - it was moist, sweet and delicious! Our lovely local reliever said that it was nice that it was a Christmas cake without the yucky almond and marzipan icing and I couldn't help but to agree... ew, how 80s. Good work Baker's Delight.

Inside the cake itself were only currents - which got mixed reviews, "I would have liked more variety of fruit in the cake" to "it's great that it only has raisins because I hate all that other rubbish". Another critisism was that it wasn't really very Christmassy and lacked a teensy bit of spice.

One cheeky colleague did comment there was no booze in the cake, or not that she could detect...and she's good at detecting those sorts of things. Lol

But the big feat was that I tasted some and actually liked it. So if you're not really into fruit cake like me then give this one a go. A few staff commented that, like me, they weren't really fruit cake people but thought it was the bees knees!


Kia Ora Baker's Delight. Thanks for the opportunity.

Merry Christmas all xox

No comments: