Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"It's not who you are to the world, it's who you are to me."

I found my inspiration for today's post from here www.mamawantsthis.com/ and it would seem it was inspired by another blog (amommyinthecity.com/).  Can you feel the collaboration love?

The prompt?  How you met your spouse/significant other.


The boy and I actually met when we were in Primary school (that's elementary school for you American blog lurkers).  I was 7 and his majesty was 9. We met in Ms Pilbrow's class. She was a young teacher and nice but I don't really remember much about school other than learning about Dinosaurs (how helpful for me in my adult life!) and pining for a certain classmate who I was later to meet up with and marry.

Unfortunately for me, at this stage Mr. Man did not know I existed. In fact, to this day he cannot remember me being in his class.  But how could I forget that name or that cute little face? We've spoken about class on many occasions - talking about people we remember, events at school that went on and different things that happened in the 2 years we shared the same class, but NOTHING from him. He had no clue I was alive.  Way to boost my ego there hun.
As you can see I definitely aimed high, what a cutie! From what I remember of him in primary school, he was mischief and one of the most popular kids in the class. He was sporty and good at maths which meant instant praise and adoration from peers.

When we met later in life I thought I recognised him but wasn't sure why, and his name was one I really liked (because of this boy I knew as a child).  Then when I found out his last name and where he grew up etc I was certain this was the boy I was in love with as a 7 year old - sure enough it was. Not wanting to seem like a weird person I didn't actually tell him this 'til we'd been going out for 3 or 4 months. Another twist of fate had it that a good friend of mine was his best friend's cousin.
I don't know what exactly attracted him to me - it may have been my knack of being able to recite movies word for word or that I actually knew my way around a car? Whatever it was, I'm extremely glad it did. I'd jumped from boyfriend to boyfriend in my later teens and the word 'dickhead' gets bandied around a bit (read: a LOT) when I'm thinking about them.  Mr. Man was the first person to make me smile and laugh and make me feel safe all at the same time, and that's all it took.

So that's about it really. Nothing terribly special about the way we met.  I love him and it's effortless.  I don't have to think about loving him and I don't have to work at it, it just happens, and it always has.  I know, I know.  We're only 5 years in (only months into the marriage) and I can hear all the naysayers carrying on about 'rose tinted glasses' and not really knowing about a marriage. And you know what, you're probably right.  But I'm under no illusions that a marriage is hard work. The only thing is when you love someone as much as I love my boy and know that he loves you just as much there's nothing that seems too much like hard work.

And just to sign off - a couple of words just for him.
I love you hunny. You've been a rock through a lot of ups and downs.  You're supportive, loving, caring, considerate and best of all cuddly. I couldn't imagine a life with anyone else. You're the best fit for me, the best husband I could ask for and I know you're going to be the best Dad for this little Miss.
Love you xo

1 comment:

LatteJunkie said...

Finally I meet some one who went to primary school with their hubby. I met my hubby when we were 12...

Long story short 11 years after meeting we got married and will celebrate 10 years in Dec.

If you keep those rosetinted glasses polished and absorb all that you see now, the inevitable rough patches (growing pains of marriage) will be easier to overcome.

Great post!